About the Court
Clerk of Court
P.O. Box 601
Painesville, OH 44077
8:00am - 4:30pm
Probation: (440) 639-4932
The Painesville Municipal Courthouse was originally built as the First Church of Christ Scientist’s Church. The building was completed in 1917 and the church owned the facility until they sold it to the City of Painesville in 1968.
Due to increased litigation from a higher number of car accidents on Buffalo Road (now known as Route 20), the Bar Association recommended that a Municipal Court be developed. Under the former Justice of the Peace, the Court had jurisdiction over the following areas: Painesville, Mentor, Perry, Concord, and Leroy Township. A few years after the development of the Municipal Court, Madison Township was added to the jurisdiction. The Municipal Court came into existence on September 1, 1927, and the first Judge was appointed by the Governor. The subsequent Judges were to be elected by popular vote. The Municipal Court replaced the Justice of the Peace and was located on the second floor of the City Hall. In 1942, the Municipal Court was moved to the new safety center.
|1927 - 1935||Marvin Halter|
|1935 - 1942||Charles P. Baker|
|1943 - 1964||Albert W. Hayer|
|1964 - 1975||Oliver R. Marshall|
|1976 - 1988||Gilbert T. Cave|
|1988 - 1989||Various Judges were appointed as visiting Judges by the Ohio Supreme Court|
|1989 - 1993||Neil R. Wilson|
|1994 - 9/22/2019||Michael A. Cicconetti|
|9/23/2019-9/30/2019||Assigned Judges by Supreme Court|
|10/1/2019-11/27/2019||James R. O'Leary|
|11/27/2019 - Current||Paul R. Malchesky|
In 1927, the Municipal Court was granted a Clerk of Court. Responsibilities included swearing in jurors and managing all Court records. The Judge of the Painesville Municipal Court continues to appoint Clerks.
|1927 - 1936||Ellen Lelend|
|1936 - 1941||Henry H. Scarsbrook|
|1941 - 1964||Lester Logan|
|1964 - 1969||Melvin Reed|
|1969 - 1976||Roy Pethtel|
|1976 - 1981||Michael A. Cicconetti|
|1981 - 1990||Patricia Mackey|
|1990 - 1993||Cynthia Baker|
|1994 - 2006||Debra Poe|
|2006 - 2020||Nicholas Cindric (first appointed Clerk of Court/Court Administrator|
|2020 - Current||Kristy McBride|
Today the Painesville Municipal Court provides many of the same services that it did when it was established in 1927. In addition, the Court handles traffic and ordinance violations, small claims (less than $6,000.00), misdemeanors, civil, evictions, and preliminary hearings in felony cases. The Court has jurisdiction over the following areas: Concord Township, Fairport Harbor Village, Grand River Village, Leroy Township, Madison Township, Madison Village, North Perry Village, Painesville City, Painesville Township, Perry Township, and Perry Village.